The everyday musings and mishaps of a guy now nearly thirty, living, working, and playing in London. Only duller...

8.2.05

Lent

Today is Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Day, or Mardi Gras* ... ...or a day of no significance, if I am to believe my calendar...

I've been thinking about Lent quite seriously this year. Not that I've had a road to Damascus moment or anything, it's just that as a child I was always encouraged to give something up for the period of Lent. This usually had to be something that was bad for you (and as a child, it was sugary food such as chocolate etc)

What I begun thinking was that whilst I have been going regularly to the gym for a while and as a result I have lost some weight, I still have a small beer baby. And I can't shift it. So, would it be possible to quit lager??

After going over some of my blog entries and looking at my diary, there's enough here to suggest that I do drink a lot of the stuff (and I'm not talking about giving up booze altogether, oh no, I'm not ill!) So, is it possible to find an alternative for lager for 40 days?

The other factor in this proposed trial is there are rather a lot of birthdays coming up around Easter time - Scattergun is planning at least two, one of which is on the final day of Lent (the Saturday before Easter itself) - on that basis, to get my 40 days in, without massive lager temptation (although I'm sure there will be some), I would have to start a day early. Today.

(That means my last pint of the fizzy stuff was last night with Julian.)

The fun part of this trial is I get to try out all the things I wouldn't normally bother with - which could be worse - but another inane adventure begins... (wish me luck!)



* As that link suggests, there are rather a lot of other references to Mardi Gras nowadays: the quote "some of which are adult" made me laugh!

1 Comments:

Blogger Scattergun said...

You can always drink wine instead! Cos it's either that or ending up on gin or similarly filthy spirit....

11:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home