The everyday musings and mishaps of a guy now nearly thirty, living, working, and playing in London. Only duller...

20.1.06

Penge East vs West

Been spending a lot of time down there of late, what with the shambles in the Sham at present (STILL waiting for a return of service re heat and warmth....)

Interested to hear conflicting reports regarding the fate of good old Penge West station - I heard last week that it was due to be demolished and replaced with ticket machines (yes, because the problem wasn't the vandalism of the ticket machines in the first place now was it...?!!) - but now I've heard that they are planning to re-build...

I tend to use Penge East nowadays anyway - proof (if it was required) that a station can be improved with helpful staff, a nice station manager, a news stand and a much needed coat of paint...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very much true my friend. By the way: I don't think they will demolish it. Or at least, they will probably rebuild it and make it bigger, since the plan is that there will be a tube station named "Penge West" by 2012. You probably have heard about this already: they are going to use a secret tunnel that joins crystal palace to penge west, they didn't use it since the '800!!
Well, I hope they fix the old good station anyway...

12:50 AM

 
Blogger Inane said...

Me too Penge Blogger!

It would be a shame to demolish it and put a grotty porta-cabin in it's place. Shame also if we have to wait until 2012! Forgive me for thinking that an abandoned station was a bad thing to have in the neighbourhood, obviously the powers that be (rail companies/local authorities) think otherwise - but I must not slander the local politicians before checking my facts, for all I know they may be trying to force an outcome in our favour... here's hoping anyway...

And as for secret tunnels, who knows where they lead... ;o) Although my guess is the tube will stick to the existing overground lines, because it's cheaper (money again, you see!!)

6:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home