The everyday musings and mishaps of a guy now nearly thirty, living, working, and playing in London. Only duller...

1.7.05

Coldplay - the fans

Got to get this one of my chest although concious I sound like an old fogey but still...

What was with the crowd at the Coldplay gig?

Maybe it was because it was non-restrictive standing/seating or maybe it was because we were on the edge of the inner core standing at the front, but I spent most of the gig fending off people (mostly teenage girls) from trampling me underfoot in a chavalanche of mobile phones and fried chicken cartons...

...and who takes an umbrella to a gig? Come on! As soon as it rained, they all went up, ruining the view for the hundred odd people stood behind.

I was initially amused when earlier in the afternoon, the Palace local was well and truly Islingtonised by wanderers from the north of town, exaserbated at the lack of Pizza Expresses (plural!). But by the end of the gig, I was fed up - the problem with a band like Coldplay is they appeal to everyone, including a good number of people who do not regularly go to gigs and consequently don't know how to behave. That's it, now I sound like my Dad...

...oh well, it seems these people have aged me... next time I do an outdoor gig, I'll do Glastonbury again as at least the threat of mud and the great unwashed is enough to put the casual fans off.

Or I'll just join all the other old farts in the park sat around the band-stand in their deckchairs mumbling how the youth of yester-year had more respect for etc etc etc...

(So it has come to this.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home